I created this piece to practice my hard-surface modeling skills, as well as to demonstrate my knowledge of modern PBR workflows. I've always been a fan of vintage machinery, and was very inspired by all the great reference I found on vintagemachinery.org!
A selection of work I did for a collaborative personal game project between a programmer friend, a writer friend, and myself: working title "Astoria".
Responsible for art direction, concept art, modeling, texturing, rigging, and (eventually) animating everything seen here.
Tools: UE4, Maya, Photoshop
This is a selection of my work on The Sims 4 Vampires during my time as an Object Modeler with EA/Maxis. I really enjoyed working on The Sims because of the great learning opportunities it provided. Due to the game's low targets for poly count and texture resolution, I had to be very intentional in creating assets.
Each asset was under 500 tris. The largest ivy variant has a 512 texture, but some (like the candelabra) have a 256 texture, and the garlic assets have 256x64 textures! All about saving that texture memory.
I created all the assets in these screenshots with a few exceptions: I did NOT create the floor/wall textures, the paintings inside of the frames, or the small table under the candleabra.
Created based on concept art by Rock D: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/biological-weapon-concept
I wanted to practice hard-surface modeling, and also was excited by the range of textures in this concept.
This large interior environment was created based on concept art by Valdis Matas. In creating this piece, I wanted to focus on overall mood and ambience, while also remaining true to the proportions and style established in the original concept art.
At the bottom of the page, I've included texture maps and stats for a few selected props from the piece.
Tools used: Maya, xNormal, Substance Painter and Substance Designer, Photoshop, Unreal Engine 4.
Total: 98k tris
I started on this project to learn more about modern PBR workflows. Through my process, I sought out reference photos and videos to ensure as much accuracy as possible.
To push my texturing skills, I envisioned this asset as if its owner had been driving through the desert for years.
Tools used: Maya, xNormal, Substance Painter (for motorcycle) and Substance Designer (for base), Photoshop. Real-time render in Marmoset Toolbag 2.
Motorcycle - 16.5k tris, 2048x2048 texture
Desert "stand" - 2.8k tris, 512 tiling texture
A retro, handpainted TV! Inspired by this real-life TV, but I stylized it and made it funkier.
In addition to 3D art, I'm also very comfortable with 2D painting and drawing. I love doing life drawings and also coming up with characters and environments from reference and imagination combined.